Summer is here ladies and whether you’re like me and are cursed with skin that reflects sunlight (yikes!), or you get a bronzed-glow just by being outside for ten minutes, we all need a little pick-me-up at the beginning of the season. So worry not, my fellow pale-skinned beauties, here are some self tanning tips sure to get you through the summer, or at least the first pool party 😉
BEFORE THE TAN GOES ON
- EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE
- No matter how amazing your tanner is, you will not get the best results unless you properly exfoliate before using the product. Besides shaving, which will help get rid of a lot of dead skin off your legs, I recommend using a heavy exfoliant. Some of my favorites include:
- After shaving and exfoliating, moisturize the dryer parts of your skin. Apply an unscented moisturizer on knees elbows and ankles to avoid orange splotches. (not cute.)
- Wait at least 30 minutes after showering to apply tanner. This ensures that you are 100% dry.
HERE WE GO!!
- When applying your tanner, make a claw shape with your hands so the product spreads evenly around your knuckles and you won’t have any white spots- remember that we are aiming for a natural glow, not the oompa loompa look.
- Wait at least 20 minutes for your tan to dry before getting dressed. Wait a little longer if you can but 20 minutes is the minimum if you want to minimize transfer.
- Wear loose and dark clothing! This is incredibly important. Any tight-fitting clothing will rub your tan off before it even has the chance to develop. This means ditching the bra after application if you don’t want any *fake* tan lines.
- Go to sleep! Applying fake tan before bed is the best option if you want to ensure a fully-developed glow. This is also when your sweat glands are least active. Sweating= streaky tan.
THE MORNING AFTER…
- Once you rinse off your tan, always pat (don’t rub!) your skin dry after your shower! This will ensure your tan stays even and will help it fade evenly.
- Use a wet skin moisturizer like the Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer to put some added moisture back into your skin after you shower and make your skin softer than…. well… you know.
- Consistently moisturize morning and night so the tan lasts as long as possible.
It make take some practice and lemon juice but I guarantee if you follow these steps that you’ll be glowing in no time!